Tuesday, September 27, 2011

DVD/Blu-Ray Picks Of The Week - 9/27/11

Samurai's Pick: TORSO (Region 1 Blu-Ray; Blue Underground)
We reviewed this a while back for the show and now it is available on Blu. I am not sure if it was available before but I HIGHLY recommend this Sergio Martino film that is EASILY Top 5 giallo of all time.....buy it, you wont regret it!!!

Links:
Amazon Blu-Ray
Diabolik DVD

Aaron's Pick: THE PHANTOM CARRIAGE (Region 1 Blu-Ray & DVD; Criterion)
I'm thrilled to see that this classic silent film from Sweden has finally been given the Criterion treatment. Haunting, visually stunning, and beautifully shot, PHANTOM CARRIAGE features groundbreaking visual effects for the time it was made and follows the Grim Reaper as he grooms his reluctant replacement on New Year's night. This is truly one of the most beautiful films I've ever seen and I can't recommend it highly enough; it's about as close to it gets as an antique piece of art come to life. The Criterion release is jam-packed with extras, including two alternate scores, interviews, essays (written and visual), a commentary track, and a remastered print.

Links:
Amazon Blu-Ray and DVD


Large William's Pick: SUGAR HILL (DVDR; MGM Burn on Demand)
How this film managed to get ignored on VHS AND DVD for 30 years, is beyond me. One of the most fun genre films out there, it breezily and effortlessly combines 2 of my favorite genres and perhaps my favorite sub-genre(Horror+Blaxploitation+Revenge). Really, it's your standard boy meets girl, boy dies, girl gets revenge on the white mobsters who killed him by using a Voodoo high priest's magic to wield a shiny, silver eyed army of the undead to even the score. Need I say more? (If I do, it's got that Afro rocking fox, Marki Bey as the titular Sugar, and Don Pedro Colley in a legendary turn as Baron Samedi). Buy, buy, buy!

Kissses,
William Samedi

Links:
Diabolik DVD

They Call Him Chad's Pick: MIMIC: The Director's Cut (Region 1 Blu-Ray; Lionsgate/Miramax)
I'll admit that there's not much out this week that catches my eye, but this release in particular intrigues me. I've read over the years that Guillermo Del Toro had a much better version of Mimic planned than what was actually released. Although, I was always under the impression these changes were forced at the scripting/pre-production stages.

This release is a great price, and I'm willing to roll the dice to see what improvements he was able to make. Regardless, I still found the original to be a pretty solid big bug/monster movie. And hey, I'm normally a fan of any movie that puts kid characters in danger rather than placing an unrealistic protective cylinder around 'em. I re-visit a number of Del Toro's works often so it's to have a good reason to give this one another look.

Links:
Amazon Blu-Ray
Blu-Ray.com Review
High-Def Digest Review


No comments:

Post a Comment