Tuesday, October 18, 2011

DVD/Blu-Ray Picks Of The Week - 10/18/11

Large William's Pick: THE LAST CIRCUS (Region 1 DVD & Blu-Ray; Magnet/Magnolia)
Alex De Iglesia's latest film was at tiff last year and sadly, I was not able to swing seeing it, but was happy to hear from some friends that it was excellent. Incredibly strong visually and with a scathing absurdist commentary of fascist Spain and human nature in general. This is a film that will look absolutely STUNNING in blu as De Iglesia has a strong command of imagery and a sublime visual flair. Equal parts grotesque and beautiful. Don't miss this one gang, or you just might be the one playing the sad trumpet*rim shot*

besos,
William

Links:
Amazon Blu-Ray and DVD
Blu-Ray.com Review

Sammy's Pick: KURONEKO (Region 1 DVD & Blu-Ray; Criterion)
We all know about Kurosawa and Ozu....but one of the hidden, or at least less talked about . talents from Japan is Kaneto Shindo. Shindo was born in 1912 and is still working today, he directed Postcard in 2010!!! That's 98 years old folks!!! I am personally not a big fan of ghost stories, they just don't scare me and sometimes if the mood and tone aren't spot on I find myself bored and uninterested. Shindo directed this film and Onibaba, two of my favorite Japanese films of all time and two very solid, and similar, ghost stories. He was also one of the pioneers of feminism in films and sexuality...educate yourself on his work...film buffs should adore!!!

Links:
Amazon Blu-Ray and DVD
Diabolik DVD and Blu-Ray

Aaron's Pick: ENTER THE NINJA (DVDR; MGM MOD)
This actually came out last week, but due to a shameful oversight on my part, I'm recommending it this week.

Anyway...

Franco Nero plays a fucking NINJA in this! Done.

Links:
Amazon
Amazon Instant Watch
Diabolik DVD

3 comments:

  1. HAHA I loved Aarons blurb under his pick. I will defiantly be trying to find these three. They all peak my interests based on your reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! When Franco Nero plays something as ridiculous as a ninja, the product kinda sells itself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clowns. Nooooooope. Enter the ninja? Helllls yes. As for Kuroneko, I have seen it and quite enjoyed it. It was in class though.

    ReplyDelete