Tuesday, April 12, 2011

DVD/Blu-Ray Picks Of The Week - 4/12/11


Large William's Pick: LE CERCLE ROUGE (Region 1 Blu-Ray; Criterion)
How do you say slam dunk en francais? My pick this week is a film we've covered on the show, and one that both Sammy and I love a great deal. It's Jean-Pierre Melville's Le Cercle Rouge. I may not be very good at math, but Melville+GGtMC gods Alain Delon and Gian Maria Volante=PLATINUM. If you've never seen a Melvlille, this would be a good place to start. I saw it about 5 or 6 years ago and really was taken back by it. Melville's crime film's influences can be seen in everyone from Kim Ji-Woon To Quentin Tarantino, Jim Jarmusch to John Woo. Also, it's got a 25-ish minute diamond heist that barely has a word, but will have you on the edge of your seat. Besides, Monochrome never looked soo cool.. This one is a definite buy!

bisous,
Le Grande William

Links:
Amazon Blu-Ray
High-Def Digest Specs and Review


[Ed. Note - Sammy's original pick BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS on Blu-Ray has been changed due to the release date being pushed back]
Sammy's Pick: THE INCREDIBLES (Region 1 Blu-Ray; Buena Vista Home Entertainment)
I feel this is the perfect Pixar film, no song and dance just good old fashioned storytelling and like all Pixar releases I'm sure it will look astonishing!!

Links:
Amazon Blu-Ray
High-Def Digest Specs and Review

2 comments:

  1. The Melville film is pretty much my all time favourite Criterion sleeve - their designs can be hit and miss but this one I love - reminds me of 70's Penguin paperback designs... The Battle Beyond the Stars jacket is gorgeous too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Le Cercle rouge is a fantastic film, and it looks incredible on blu ray, one of the best upgrades from dvd I've seen.

    ReplyDelete