Tuesday, March 29, 2011

DVD/Blu-Ray Picks Of The Week - 3/29/11


Large William's Pick: BLACK SWAN (Region 1 DVD/Blu-Ray; Fox Searchlight Pictures)
While this may seem like an obvious choice, and perhaps the most above ground one we'll make on show, there's no denying the skill behind and in front of the camera with Darren Aronofsky's Black Swan. Having been fortunate enough to see this at tiff, I couldn't wait for people to begin to see it and hear their thoughts. Aronofsky takes a backdrop(ballet) that holds no interest whatsoever to me, but turns it into part Argento, part Polanski, part Powell/Pressburger, and all insanity. Superbly shot, directed and designed, featuring the BEST performance from an actor this year. Black Swan is a can't miss.

smooches,
William

Links:
Amazon DVD
Amazon Blu-Ray


Sammy's Pick: SHERLOCK HOLMES: COMPLETE COLLECTION (Region 1 Blu-Ray; MPI Entertainment)
The Sherlock Holmes Box Set on Blu, starring Sammy's favorite Sherlock, the one and only Basil Rathebone. I have a fondness for these films that is unmatched, spending time with my grandmother watching these films is one of my greatest memories. Great midnite cinema in my opinion, up late at night with a nice cup of coffee and a great mystery...this is the set to own!!!

Links:
Amazon Blu-Ray
Blu-Ray.com Review and Specs


Rupert Pupkin's Pick: TEEN WOLF (Region 1 Blu-Ray; MGM)
I never thought I see the day when TEEN WOLF would make it to a high definition format. The film's director Rod Daniel was primarily a TV guy so you'd think the film would be pretty flat. In parts, I suppose it is, but Daniel shows many flourishes of style from the wonderfully memorable opening shot to many other interesting camera angles and positions he chooses throughout. I must say that it's been very rewarding for me to see the cult of this film grow and grow over the years. I've loved it since I first saw it on VHS 20 plus years ago and even recorded a fan commentary for it with a friend of mine at one point. I feel like it's always lived in daunting shadow of the other Michael J. Fox film that came out the same year. It's really neat to see it get this kind of release and I can't wait to see it this way!

There were MANY other cool Blu-Ray releases this week, just wanted to mention them by name at the very least: Poor Pretty Eddie Blu-ray, Dorm that Dripped Blood Blu-Ray and of course Soylent Green Blu-Ray

Links:
Amazon Blu-Ray

3 comments:

  1. My fav Holmes is Jeremy Brett with Rathbone holding close by

    ReplyDelete
  2. That photoshop on Michael J Fox just doesn't get any better with age, does it? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just bought The Sherlock Holmes Collection on Blu-ray at Amazon for $63. At $4.50 per movie, it's just too low to forgo!

    ReplyDelete