Tuesday, July 26, 2011

DVD/Blu-Ray Picks Of The Week - 7/26/11

Samurai's Pick: BLUES BROTHERS (Region 1 Blu-Ray; Universal Studios)
It would be very predictable for me to pick Kurosawa's High and Low on Criterion Blu, it is a superior film. However, this is one of my favorite films from Landis, only behind American Werewolf in my adoration....GREAT stunts, GREAT comic timing between the leads...AWESOME musical buts and honoring the music that inspired the Blues Brother act....plus Princess Leia heavily armed with massive guns ( I mean actual guns) Totally worth the pick up....

Links:
Amazon Blu-Ray
Blu-ray.com Review
High-Def Digest Review and Specs

Large William's Pick: HEARTBEATS (Region 1 DVD; IFC/MPI)
This week, I've decided to continue the love for the CanCon, and go with a film from one of Canada's brightest young talents, Xavier Dolan and his 2010 film Heartbeats(Les amours imaginaires). Dolan burst onto the scene at Cannes in 2009, with I Killed My Mother, and promptly picked up a hat trick of hardware on the French Riviera. His second film, Heartbeats made my to 25 last year, and harkens to the French New Wave, Wong Kar-Wai, Almodovar and several other cinematic guiding lights of our time. Check out this film, and don't let the synopsis fool you(the story of two friends who both fall in love with the same man). C'est magnifique!

au revoir,
Le Grande William

Links:
Amazon DVD

1 comment:

  1. Man have I been waiting for Blues Brothers to come out on Blu Ray. So stoked!

    ReplyDelete