Tuesday, December 27, 2011

DVD/Blu-Ray Picks Of The Week - 12/27/11

Sammy's Pick: SID AND NANCY (Region 1 Blu-Ray; MGM/20th Century Fox)
This film will always be Alex Cox's masterpiece in my opinion. It's his most complete film and it captures an era I have great affection towards as it reminds me of my youth and how I was anti EVERYTHING. Gary Oldman puts in an amazing performance and Chloe Webb (whom many have forgotten) puts in just as good a performance as Nancy. I highly recommend this film.

Links:
Amazon
Blu-Ray.com Review
High-Def Digest Review

Aaron's Pick: FINAL DESTINATION 5 (Region 1 Blu-Ray & DVD; New Line/Warner Home Video)
I don't particularly care for this movie too much, but I got a chance to see it in theaters in 3D and thought it was a fun enough film with some decent kills, an impressive collapsing-bridge sequence, and a nice twist ending. The 3D was a bit disappointing, as I felt they didn't really exploit it as much as they could have, but it was perfectly fine, and as a whole this is pretty much everything you'd expect from a FINAL DESTINATION movie. I originally wanted to pick Uwe Boll's latest, IN THE NAME OF THE KING 2 (starring Dolph Lundgren!), but who am I kidding; we all know it's gonna be garbage.

Links:
Amazon Blu-Ray and DVD
Amazon Blu-Ray/DVD Combo
Blu-Ray.com Review
High-Def Digest Review

Large William's Pick: MONDO KEYHOLE (MOD; Allied Vaughn)
Other than its awesome title and the pedigree of the director(Jack Hill), who I have a great deal of affection for(in fact, we would have reviewed more of his films on the show, if so many people in our circle hadn't done so already). Basically, it plays like a domestic version of Powell's tremendous Peeping Tom. An otherwise normal man has a voracious appetite for rape, and one night, his heroin addicted wife follows him to a costume party to see what a gwan. Needless to say, things don't go well.. Check it out gang, to see a genre godfather honing his craft early on

Kisses,
William

Links:
Amazon
DiscountMovieSale.com

1 comment:

  1. Mondo Keyhole is availiable as part of the VCI Psychotronica series which includes a Hill commentary as well as Robert Lamb's The Raw Ones and it costs 10 bucks.

    ReplyDelete