Tuesday, October 25, 2011

DVD/Blu-Ray Picks Of The Week - 10/25/11

Samurai's Pick: ATTACK THE BLOCK (Region 1 Blu-Ray & DVD; Sony)
This is one of the best and most fun filled films of 2011. I had an absolute blast watching this film and this is a MUST BUY!!! The interaction between the characters, the simple and effective creature design....probably in my top 10 for the year. TRUST.

Also guys, it should be said...this week is FREAKIN PACKED with choices...Island of Lost Souls Criterion, Serbian Film, Winnie the Pooh (which I am also buying), City of Life and Death, Shaolin, Dazed and Confused Criterion Blu, The Conversation on Blu and Rare Exports.....FUCK ME...I'm broke

Links:
Amazon Blu-Ray and DVD
Blu-Ray.com Review
High-Def Digest Review

Large William's Pick: CITY OF LIFE AND DEATH (Region 1 Blu-Ray & DVD; Kino)
We've all seen powerful films that show us the senselessness and tragedy that befalls all involved in War. How humans forget a little thing called humanity. The destruction at times of all that is good and pure, and how war isn't the noble, patriotic endeavor that we've been told time and time again.

Chuan Lu's City of Life and Death, simply put,, is the best made, most powerful anti-war film I've ever bared witness to. It chronicles the "Rape of Nanking", Japan's brutal 1937 occupation of the Chinese capital. There are things in this film that simply left my jaw agape. Things that I couldn't believe I was seeing. Things that brought tears to my eyes. What was and is most impressive about Lu's film, is that it never sensationalizes the atrocities, never throws s black hat dastardly villain's greatest hits package at you. Everything feels documentary-like, yet still incredibly cinematic. 2 years ago, this film was 3rd on my top 10 of the year, ahead of another little war film, far more based in fantasy, Quentin Tarantino's Inglourious Basterds. I cannot recommend this film highly enough. It is an absolute buy..

Kisses,
Will

Links:
Amazon Blu-Ray and DVD
Blu-Ray.com Review

Aaron's Pick: ZOMBIE: 2-Disc Ultimate Edition (Region 1 DVD/Blu-Ray; Blue Underground)
Just in time for Halloween, Lucio Fulci's splatter classic is now available for the first time on Blu-Ray, and in a 2-disc edition from Blue Underground jam-packed with extra features no less, although I'm not exactly sure how the supplemental material in this differs from the previous Shriek Show 2-disc version (I'm sure they're different, but I haven't been able to verify it myself). Personally, this is my favorite of Fulci's horror movies, and in my opinion easily one of the best films that the late Italian director ever made. It's an obviously flawed film in spots, but very effective as a horror movie. Highly recommended.

Links:
Amazon DVD and Blu-Ray
Diabolik DVD and Blu-Ray
Blu-Ray.com Review

2 comments: